Vanilla Quinoa Milk
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Soak quinoa overnight in 2 cups of water. Before cooking, drain through a sieve and rinse until water runs clear.
- To cook, bring another 2 cups of water to a boil. Add quinoa and bring to a second boil, then cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. When done, fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Place 1/2 of the cooked quinoa into a blender with 2 cups of filtered/purified water. Blend on high for 1-3 minutes until smooth. (Use the other half toward other meals over the week.)
- Pour milk into nut milk bag or through cheesecloth while holding over a bowl or large jug. The milk will strain through slowly on its own, but you can gently squeeze and massage the bottom of the bag to speed up the process.
- Put strained milk back into the blender and add water (about 1 cup at a time) to your desired consistency, blending the mixture after each addition. I like mine a medium consistency so it has body but isn’t too thick with about 2 more cups of added water. Add vanilla extract, salt and any other flavorings, if using. Note: You shouldn’t plan to keep it longer than 3-5 days, so drink up!