Chia Seeds Roti
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp whole chia seeds soaked in 1/2 cup of water for about 30 mins salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (or any other curry powder)
- water as needed
- 1 tsp oil
- a little extra flour for dusting
- a few drops of oil/ ghee
- Soak chia seeds in approx 1/2 cup of water for 30 mins. Mix once halfway to ensure even soaking, the chia seeds become gelatinous and kind of thick.
- In a large bowl, assemble all the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the soaked chia seeds along with the water and mix into the flour. Add water as needed to knead into a soft and non sticky dough, add 1 tsp oil and knead again.
- Keep dough covered and allow it to "rest" for at least thirty minutes
- Divide dough into equal lemon sized balls. Using a little flour for dusting roll the dough into an even circle of desired thickness.
- Heat a flat pan/ tawa on medium heat. When hot place rolled out dough on it and allow it to cook until light brown spots appear on the lower side. Flip over and cook the other side until light brown spots appear on it.
- If you plan to use ghee/ oil, it can be applied to the side facing upwards after flipping the roti and flip back again for the other side to cook for another few seconds. Using oil/ ghee is not required at all, since this roti is pretty soft as it is, especially if served immediately after making.