A Super Plate for a Super You!Posted on
The best route to a healthy life is through a healthy plate. A well-balanced meal that supplies nutrition to the body is a perfect blend of all essential nutrients, which should ideally be consumed daily, and supported with a fitness/workout regime, to keep the body nourished and fit. Have you heard about the 'Super Plate'?
A Super Plate is a wholesome plate consisting of all the vital nutrients spread across a balanced diet chart that should make up every meal. On a broader note, a super plate includes whole grains, protein, vegetables and fruits, fats and cholesterol, vitamins and minerals.
What are some commonly practiced healthy eating habits?
Healthy eating is incorporating the super plate diet chart into your diet plan. Each of these food categories fulfils the nutritional requirements of our body. Measure the nutritional value of your eating plate with the following nutrients:
- Carbohydrates- Carbs are the primary source of energy supply for the entire body. They constitute upto 45-55% of daily calorie intake. The source of consumption for carbs mainly includes whole grains such as wheat, millets, oats, rice, quinoa and more.
- Fats- Fats are storage units of the energy absorbed from the carbs, and also aid in releasing hormones in the body. About 20-35% of the daily calorie intake comes from fats. Nuts, seeds, plant oils and dairy products like milk & cheese are popular sources of fats.
- Protein- Protein mainly helps in the maintenance and growth of tissues in our body. They make up about 10-35% of daily calorie intake. Meat, fish, nuts, soya, beans, pulses and seeds like flax seeds and pumpkin seeds are rich sources of protein.
- Fibre- Dietary fibre majorly aids in regulating blood sugar levels and maintains & supports bowel functioning in our body. Nuts & seeds, peas & beans, fruits & vegetables, brown rice and oats are high in dietary fibre.
- Vitamins & Minerals- Vitamins and minerals aid in regulating metabolism and promote growth of cells in our body. Each vitamin and mineral has its own unique property in contributing to our nutritional requirements. They are generally absorbed from vegetables, meat, nuts and seeds.
- Water- Most importantly, staying hydrated is essential to facilitate the supply of oxygen throughout the body. About 2-2.5 litres of water is suggested to be consumed daily on an average, out of which 20% of the water comes from the food we eat.
How to stay fit and healthy?
Physical fitness is an essential component when it comes to staying healthy. The exercise component can further be broken down into 3 main categories - Aerobic/cardio exercises, Strengthening of muscles and Flexibility of the overall body. Staying active by engaging in exercises such as swimming, cycling, squats, push-ups, weight-lifting, and yoga, among many other exercises should be a part of your daily workout regime to stay healthy.
Some of the healthy alternatives to whole grains in Superfoods are Quinoa flakes, Quinoa flour and Omega Meal mix offered by Nourish You. We highly recommend our range of organic edible seeds, breakfast and healthy snacking options which will add the 'Super' to your super plate!