Add More Nutrition To Your Plate As You Advance In Years
The older you grow, the wiser you get! Likewise, the older you grow, your body demands a highly nutritious diet with fewer calories. Aging affects our body by decreasing the food intake levels and altering the body composition. We often find elderly people complaining about their diminishing sense of smell and taste along with a reduced appetite. Well, ageing not just impacts our dietary habits but also makes us vulnerable to a number of diseases. Hence, the only way to sustain a healthy lifestyle as you keep ageing, is by making a wise choice when it comes to consuming essential nutrients through healthy foods in the right quantity, and staying physically active and fit.
Effective practices for healthy eating:
- Each meal should be divided into three essential components in such a way that 50% of the meal consists of leafy greens that are rich in vitamins & minerals, 25% of it is filled with whole-grains such as quinoa, brown-rice, teff, and the remaining 25% should constitute of protein rich foods in the form of lentils, edible seeds and more.
- Healthy fats should be consumed regularly in the form of nut mixes, and healthy oils among other nutrient-rich foods.
- Make it a point to consume healthy foods that have a high dietary fiber content. Nuts & seeds, muesli, whole grains like quinoa are some of the best fiber-rich superfoods. It limits the food intake by reducing appetite and regularizing bowel function.
- Drink plenty of water and increase intake of fluids in the form of fruit juices, soups, and smoothies paired with edible seeds & berries.
- Don't cut down on nutrients in order to reduce your appetite, limit the portion of each serving without compromising on the essential nutrients of a balanced diet.
- In the case of senior adults, the ideal meal plan includes protein-rich whole grains in the form of quinoa, muesli and oats to be served as a healthy breakfast bowl along with milk and berries. A balanced meal of leafy greens, legumes, lentils, healthy fats, proteins and whole-grains should be served during lunch. Lastly, a light dinner should consist of fruits and low-calorie foods that are easy to digest.
- Limit consuming foods with saturated fats and avoid excessive consumption of sugar and salt. It is also recommended to limit the consumption of alcohol.
In addition to the above dietary measures, senior adults must foster healthy eating habits and avoid foods that may damage their weakening teeth. It is advised to avoid hard fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds that are difficult to chew. In such cases, consumption of a variety of seeds can be altered, like chia seeds can be soaked in water or milk for a few hours which makes them easier to chew. Likewise, eating soft cooked food and consuming fruits in the form of smoothies makes it more convenient. Consult a nutritionist who can provide you the right diet chart if you need a personalized diet plan to address specific health concerns. Exercise becomes inevitable as you keep growing, so implement some strengthening exercises in your fitness regime.
Nourish You offers a wide range of organic superfoods that can be easily incorporated into your daily meal schedule.
- Quinoa Muesli comes in three exciting flavors which includes Chocolate Banana, Honey & Nuts, and Nuts (no added sugar). Add this to your bowl of milk for a yummy & nutritious breakfast.
- Replace whole-grain flour that has more calories and gluten with naturally gluten-free superfoods such as Quinoa, Quinoa Flour and Teff Flour which have fewer calories.
- Enhance the flavor and taste of your meal by adding the highly nutritious Omega Meal Mix and Linseed Meal to regular dishes.
- Watermelon seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds can be added to puddings, soups, salads, smoothies and dishes. Some of them can be roasted and munched on as a healthy snack.
- Goji Berry Nut Mix and Cranberry Walnut Nut Mix are popular nutritious snacks that can be enjoyed at all times.
Ageing brings no difference in the amount of joy and nourishment we deliver through our organic assortment and it's never too late to make a healthy choice! Follow a healthy diet plan by adding the nutritious delights by Nourish You to your cart right away!