Flax seeds is a popular term for linseeds that are extracted from the very resourceful 'Flax' plant. Interestingly, every bit of the flax plant serves its own unique purpose as a contribution for mankind, and so do we make the most out of it!
Linens and ropes are largely produced using flax fibers. Flax seeds also provide for a range of consumables like linseed oil, flax seeds flour, flax seeds flakes among more. Not just that, these seeds are utilized widely for carpentry and woodwork activities too!
Flax seeds have a mild taste, and add a nutty flavour to all sorts of delicacies across a variety of cuisines, in sweet or savoury dishes alike.
What it takes
Flax plants are usually grown in huge fields and require adequate direct sunlight, cool climate and well-drained fertile soil to grow well.
What it gives
Once the seed pods swell and bloom properly, they turn brown, which indicates that it is time to harvest. The crop yields two types of seeds - brown seeds and golden seeds. The brown seeds have a slightly stronger flavour compared to the golden seeds.
Flax seeds in cooking:
- It acts as a thickening ingredient in recipes, replacing some traditional ingredients that are high in gluten-content. Flax seeds are completely gluten-free.
- It is a vegan substitute for eggs, and also a healthier option. By using one tablespoon of flax seeds and three tablespoons of water combined well together, it replaces the measure of one egg.
Some tasty recipes you can try using flax seeds:
- Great for baking - Quintessential for a range of baking delicacies such as bread, cookies, cakes and muffins and more, adding ground flax seeds to the baking mixture makes it more thick and smooth in its consistency and adds a highly nutritious twist.
- A crunchy, nutritious topping - Raw or roasted flax seeds used as toppings for smoothies, shakes, salads & snacks. Coarsely ground flax seeds add a mildly nutty flavour with the richness of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
- A wonderful snack - Crunchy roasted flax seeds can be eaten as a snack just on their own, or used as an add-on to energy bars & granolas that serve as an all-time crunchy and healthy snack for kids.
Undeniable health benefits that use of flax seeds account for:
- Organic flax seeds provide tremendous benefits in terms of maintaining skin and hair health. Owing to its rich Vitamin E content, it helps reduce radical damage of the scalp and promotes better circulation of blood that boosts hair growth and makes the skin glow.
- Being rich in dietary fiber and protein, it helps suppress one's appetite and prevent from overeating or over-intake of carbs and fats, without increasing calories. Thus flax seeds are often suggested in a weight loss regime.
- Women are advised to consume flax seeds as it aids in regularizing the ovulation process during the menstrual cycle. Apart from which it helps reduce cramp pains and breast pains that some women experience during menstruation.
- Organic flax seeds are known to have anti-cancer properties - lignans and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) that help reduce the risk of breast cancer and endometrial cancers.
- Flax seeds are an abundant source of the omega-3 fatty acid ALA, which tends to lower the risk of heart-stroke, ensuring good heart health.
Nourish You is best-known for producing and delivering superior organic flax seeds in India. Use the advice shared in this article about how to consume flax seeds, to introduce them into your daily diet, for meals loaded with nutrients and a tinge of happiness!