Superfoods That Can Charge-Up Your Super Brain!Posted on
In a tug of war between the head and the heart, whom would you agree with? Though our heart pulls us stronger, wrap your mind around the fact that it's our brain that commands the functioning of every single cell in our body, including the heart!
The human brain is considered to be one of the most complex structures in the entire universe. Hence, the brain acts as a processor for assembling and storing information in our memory and controls each function of the human body. Apart from commanding other organs of the body through the central nervous system, the brain is majorly responsible for all the cognitive capabilities which include thinking, planning, imagining, visualising, analysing and logical reasoning.
Some interesting facts about the brain:
- The human brain is a spongy mass of fat and protein, with water being the highest constituent, amounting to 78% of the whole brain.
- Brain development in humans takes place until the age of 25.
- Cognitive functions are carried out by Neurons in the human brain that travel at the speed of 268 miles per hour.
- The energy generated by an active human brain is good enough to power a lightbulb which amounts to 23 watts of power.
- Each individual's brain activity is as unique to them as their fingerprints, hence every person is said to have a unique personality.
- More than one lakh chemical reactions take place inside a human brain in a fraction of a second.
- A human brain uses 20% of the total oxygen and 20% of the total blood that circulates in a human body and it can also survive for about 4-6 minutes without oxygen.
- Sleep deprivation hinders the healing capabilities of the brain and body by killing the brain cells which impacts cognition and reaction faculties of an individual.
While physical exercises are essential to keep our body in good shape and healthy, a set of exercises and activities are equally important for our mental well-being and carrying out functions of the brain. A few physical exercises for brain development are listed below:
- Draw the map of your school/college/office or your neighbourhood, labelling the street names and important landmarks on a plain paper without any reference image. This will help you strengthen your memory power.
- Switch to use your non-dominant hand to carry out regular tasks such as eating, writing and drawing. This challenging activity is one of the best physical exercises for the brain.
- Practice meditation, choosing from plenty of guided mindfulness meditation videos available online, as it offers numerous benefits to the mind including better mental flexibility, improved concentration power and also enhanced immunity.
- Fun-filled brain exercise games such as scrabble, jigsaw puzzle, solving a Rubik's cube, card games such as solitaire, poker and others help improve cognitive capabilities.
- Picking up a new skill such as a new dance form or playing music helps strengthen connections in the brain and also improves memory power.
Discussing the structure of the human brain and learning about its functions in school, was one of the fond memories for people who were fascinated by science. In order to recall memories and increase concentration power, nourish your mind with some good brain healing foods.
Superfoods that boost your brainpower-
Following are some of the best foods for brain growth:
- Pumpkin seeds- These seeds are loaded with a bunch of nutrients, especially magnesium that optimises the functioning of the brain and strengthens cognitive capabilities.
- Chia seeds- These bite-sized seeds are rich in antioxidants that protect brain cells from damages and support cell growth and repair which is essential for brain health.
- Quinoa- It is rich in iron, which helps in carrying oxygen through the red blood cells throughout the body, thus supporting effective functioning of the brain.
- Nuts- Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and peanuts are some of the best nuts that help improve concentration power and cognitive functioning of the brain.
- Leafy greens- Green leafy vegetables are known to be a rich source of Vitamin K, which enhances learning, memory and cognitive capabilities.
Make a mindful choice when it comes to what you feed your brain! Choose from the premium range of organic superfoods by Nourish You that will not just nourish your body, but will also charge the brain!