Superfoods that will give your immunity a super boost!Posted on
In recent times, we've discovered that the strongest warriors that fight major battles in life are our own blood cells which are inherently capable of resisting external infections and toxins by producing antibodies that shield our body against viruses and diseases. With growing awareness comes the need to make our immune system much stronger than ever. Boosting immunity helps improve overall health and protects cells of the body from a range of diseases. Our immune system comprises organs, cells and proteins which work hand-in-hand to prevent external invaders such as viruses, bacteria, fungi & toxins from posing a threat to the body's well-being.
Simple tips to follow regularly in order to boost immunity:
- A consistent sleep pattern of 6-8 hours per day helps the body with adequate rest and produces a protein called 'cytokines' that creates an immune response against infections & inflammations. Hence, maintain a healthy sleep routine.
- Hot beverages and fluids paired with lemon, ginger, turmeric and honey are known to have properties that can help fight diseases and reduce the incidence of cold & flu. Ensure drinking water frequently to stay hydrated as it naturally eliminates harmful bacteria & toxins from our body.
- Exercising regularly in moderate intensity enhances the body's defense capabilities to fight off infections by generating antibodies that reduce cold & flu. A daily workout session for 30-40 minutes is considered invaluable for your immune system.
- Yoghurt is an excellent dietary source of probiotics that contain microorganisms which support the immune system to ward-off diseases. In addition to which, yoghurt is also rich in vitamins and packed with high protein. Consuming yoghurt on a regular basis will prove beneficial for your body.
- Exposing skin to sunlight helps gain vitamin D, which plays a crucial role in activating T-cells and reducing the risk of serious infections & illnesses. Soak-in sunlight for 10-30 minutes on a daily basis to improve immunity.
Superfoods that act as natural immune system boosters:
- Almonds- Almonds are a rich source of Vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant that improves the pulmonary immune response to fight off invading harmful microbes. Almonds mixed with other nuts serve as a great snack during the day.
- Chia Seeds- Chia seeds are abundant in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids that improve digestion and increase metabolism, thereby eliminating toxins from the body and strengthening the immune system, besides supplying protein and essential nutrients. There are a number of ways to consume these seeds. Pair them up easily with a bowl of yoghurt or add them to smoothies, milkshakes, green tea, also try the yummy chia pudding.
- Sunflower Seeds- Sunflower seeds are a great source of essential vitamins & minerals including vitamin E, B6, selenium & zinc that develop and maintain immune cells in the body. About 30g of sunflower seeds a day are considered a healthy serving. Roasted sunflower seeds can be consumed raw, and also added to a number of dishes, salads, soups and granola bars.
- Goji Berries- Goji Berries are said to be natural enhancers of immunity and were traditionally used in medicines to prevent cold, flu and even severe illnesses. They contain vitamin C & B, several minerals, amino acids and fatty acids that support our immune function. Adding these to your diet along with other nuts is a great snacking choice.
- Watermelon Seeds- Watermelon seeds are packed with iron, magnesium, zinc & vitamin C. They contain collagen that protect cell structures and skin tissues in our body, thereby strengthening our immune system. These seeds can be eaten raw or toasted as a snack, or used as toppings on milkshakes, soups, salads and other dishes.
Nourish You offers a tasty range of healthy organic edible seeds, quinoa products, omega meal mix, breakfast and snack options that are a boon for building a strong immune system. For a healthy addition to your diet, try our nut mixes that contain almonds, nuts & goji berries, along with high-quality sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds. Empower your immune system with our superfood heroes to defend your body from diseases.