Sunny, Scrumptious, Simple Sunflower Seeds Cake!Posted on
Sunflower seeds add a delicious crunch to salads, up the nutrition level by several notches in freshly baked loaves of bread and delicious cakes and are great to snack on too!
There are many ways to use sunflower seeds to their full potential. For starters, if you have a nut allergy, they can be used as a replacement. They are also an ideal and cheaper substitute for cashews to make yummy creamy sauces, pestos, dressingsand desserts, because their high fat content acts as a binding agent.
Here we have an awesomely easy-to-make yet equally delicious cake, where the key ingredient is the humble sunflower seed! For this, you can prepare the sunflower seeds in two ways; either soak, rinse and strain or soak and dehydrate.To dehydrate them, set your oven temperature as low as it will go and stir them occasionally so that they are evenly dehydrated.
Here’s the recipe for this quick real-food cake that not just satiates hunger in a healthy way but is also low in sugar. The best part is that it tastes great!
- 2½ cups sunflower seeds (soaked & strained or soaked &dehydrated)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup toasted nuts
- If you have soaked the seedsthen add 2 teaspoons of salt, stir well and cover it with a towel; and let it sit for about 7-8 hours.
- Later, strain, rinse and shake off as much water as you can. Then put them in a blender.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease an 8 X 8 inch pan well with butter.
- Blend the sunflower seeds until a paste begins to form, depending on the texture you like.
- Add the coconut oil, honey, eggs, cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, salt and blend well until all the ingredients have mixed well.
- Pour the mixed batter into the baking pan. Add the toasted nuts, raisins and shredded coconut.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Once done, let it coolon the counter.
It is ready to serve, eat and enjoy. Store the remaining in the fridge to keep. You can also enjoy the cake by pouring milk over it; add a few fresh fruits or berries for an added crunch and flavour.For a quick and high-energy bar, you can wrap a small piece of it in a plastic wrap to get you through the day!