Navratri is a widely-celebrated Hindu festival that spans over nine nights and ends on the tenth day of ‘Vijayadashmi’, in honor of the divine feminine- Goddess Durga who embodies the infinite cosmic energy of the universe.
‘Navadurga’ depicts the 9 different forms of Goddess Durga which include Shailaputri, Brahmacharini, Chandraghanta, Kushmanda, Skandamata, Katyayani, Kalaratri, Mahagauri, and Siddhidatri. This grand celebration signifies the victory of goodness over evil which is symbolic to Mahishasura's defeat against Goddess Durga and triumph of Lord Rama against Ravana. It encourages devotees to let go of their negative traits and embrace their innate virtues.
Among various offerings made during the Navratri festivities, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, and almonds are some of the healthiest superfoods that can be chosen to prepare a variety of delicious superfood recipes this Navratri season.
Quick & easy superfood recipes for Navratri:
This nutty-flavored pulao can be easily paired with superfood salads, vegetable dishes and curries for a wholesome meal.
- 2 cups white quinoa
- ½ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 10 green beans, finely chopped
- 1 potato, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2 slit green chilies
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- Rinse the quinoa and soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- Pour the oil in a saucepan, add bay leaf, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds to it and heat it on medium flame for a minute until the spices turn aromatic.
- Add green chilies to the pan and sauté them well. Add the mint leaves to the pan and continue to sauté until the mint leaves begin to shrink in size.
- Add chopped carrot, beans, potato, peas, coriander powder and salt into the pan and sauté well for a few seconds.
- Add the soaked quinoa and pour 3½ cups of water into the pan, cover it with a lid and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once the quinoa pulao is well cooked, bring it off the heat and garnish with cashews or nuts & seeds of your choice before serving.
This easy-to-prepare superfood dessert recipe has a punch of protein and is filled with the goodness of quinoa. Relish a nourishing superfood kheer this festive season.
- ¼ cup white quinoa
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios
- Saffron strands for garnish (optional)
- Rinse the quinoa and soak it in water for 10 minutes. Drain the excess water.
- In a heated pan, pour ghee and add the soaked quinoa to roast for a few seconds. Then pour a cup of water into the pan, stir well and bring it to a boil.
- Cover it with a lid and allow it to cook on medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the quinoa appears to be well-cooked, add milk into the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, almonds and pistachios and cover it with a lid again. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Garnish with saffron strands, nuts and edible seeds of your choice before serving warm or chilled.
Flax Seed Raita
A crunchy and nutty savory condiment that can be served along with a wholesome meal including a bowl of quinoa pilaf, superfood salads and snacks.
- 3 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 cups grated bottle gourd
- 2 cups yoghurt/curd
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat a pan on medium flame to roast the flax seeds and cumin seeds together. Once the seeds are well roasted, allow them to cool before they can be grounded into fine powder using a blender.
- Heat another pan on medium flame, add the grated bottle gourd and pour water into it. Stir to cook for 6-7 minutes until excess water evaporates. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the yoghurt until smooth. Then add the flax and cumin seed powder, sugar and salt into the bowl and mix well.
- Add the cooked bottle gourd into the yoghurt mixture and stir gently until well combined.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves, edible seeds of your choice and refrigerate for a few minutes before serving.
Choose to munch on yummy Nut Mixes by Nourish You instead of binging on fried and processed snacks during this Navratri fast. Choose from a wide range of organic superfoods offered by Nourish You to prepare these healthy superfood recipes.