TEFFILICIOUS CHEESY PASTA
Now enjoy your favourite cheesy pasta with a healthy Ethiopian twist! Double up the goodness of this popular dish by preparing the flavorsome Cheese Teff Pasta using the African super grain - Teff.
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups pasta (preferably whole-grain penne)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ onion
- ½ carrot
- ½ capsicum
- 3 tbsp sweet corn
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ tbsp teff flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- cheese (for garnishing)
- Take a large sauce pot, pour the water in it along with 1 tsp salt and bring it to a boil. Then add pasta and a few drops of oil into the boiling water and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Once the pasta is well cooked, drain off the excess water and keep it aside.
- To saute the vegetables and mushrooms, heat a large frying pan, add 2 tbsp oil and 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped and stir them until slightly cooked. Finely chop the onion, carrot , capsicum , mushrooms and add them to the frying pan along with sweet corn. Saute the vegetables for a minute until they turn crunchy and appear well cooked.
- Then add ½ tsp black pepper and ½ tsp salt to the vegetables and mushroom mixture and saute them together until the spices are well combined. Bring them off the stove and keep them aside.
- To prepare the pasta sauce, take a sauce pan and heat the butter until it melts. Then add the teff flour and saute it on low to medium flame. Initially, add 1 cup of milk into this pan and mix well.
- Stir the mixture until the sauce thickens, ensuring no lumps are being formed. Then add another cup of milk and continue to stir well.
- Once the sauce has thickened and appears smooth and creamy, add ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp chilli flakes, ½ tsp mixed herbs and ½ tsp salt.
- Stir well until all the spices are well combined with the sauce.
- Add the sauteed vegetables, mushrooms and boiled pasta into the sauce and mix together gently until the entire pasta gets coated with the sauce. You can add up to 2tbsp of water if the sauce appears too thick. Bring it off the stove once it is well cooked.
- Garnish with grated cheese and oregano and serve hot.
Make this dish your signature using the authentic Teff Flour introduced in India by Nourish You. This versatile flour has a mild nutty flavor and tastes great when added to a number of dishes. Try our gluten-free Teff Flour that has incredible health benefits including weight management, and blood sugar management among many others.