October is here and with it comes a wave of pumpkins, ready to hit the shelves of every supermarket. This versatile vegetable can be transformed into so many dishes, ranging from sweet to savory. Apart from their culinary versatility, pumpkins are extremely nutritious having high levels of vitamins and natural anti-oxidants along with being low in calories.
This pumpkin season, let us try out our hand and make culinary creations which are nutritious and delicious. Here are a couple of recipes that we’ve curated so that you get a head start:
Pumpkin Spice Lattes
Start off your chilly October mornings with a hot cut of the season favorite – the PSL aka pumpkin spice latte. This drink is as simple as it sounds interesting and fancy, with very few ingredients required. We’ve given this fan favorite an improvement by replacing regular milk with quinoa milk, which not only makes it healthier but also adds to the nuttiness of the additional spices.
- A cup of Quinoa Milk
- Cane Sugar as per your intake
- Two teaspoons of Coffee Powder
- A tablespoon of Pumpkin Puree
- A pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom powder
- A teaspoon of water
- Heat the milk, sugar and pumpkin puree on a stove in its low heat setting.
- In a cup mix water and coffee powder along with the spices and mix vigorously. When combined, add to the milk.
- Let this simmer for a bit and then transfer into a coffee mug.
- You could add some whipped cream as a topping along with cinnamon sprinkled on the top.
Roasted Pumpkin and Quinoa Salad
How many times has it happened that you see yourself grab a pack of chips every time you crave a quick snack? With this easy salad recipe, you can now munch away without the guilt. Packed with flavor and health, this will surely become your go-to snack.
- A cup of sliced Pumpkin
- A tablespoon of Olive Oil
- A cup of Quinoa
- 3-4 Spinach Leaves
- Salt & Pepper as per your taste
- Oregano and other Spices for seasoning
- Cook the quinoa in boiling water, like how you would normally cook rice and set aside.
- On the stove, roast the cut pumpkin in oil adding salt and pepper as per your taste.
- Combine the two in a bowl and season with your favorite spices and herbs. Add spinach leaves over the salad and enjoy.
Organic chicken and pumpkin soup
There’s nothing in this world that a bowl of soup cannot fix, especially one that is zesty, aromatic and loaded with deliciousness. This soup’s creamy texture and the feisty blend of spice will surely get you into the spirit of Fall.
- A cup of Organic Chicken Stock
- A cup of Pumpkin Puree
- An Onion
- A cup of cooked Black Beans
- A dollop of Fresh Cream
- A teaspoon each of Coriander, Cardamom, Cumin, and Cinnamon powder
- A tablespoon of Pumpkin Seeds
- Salt & Pepper as per your taste
- Sautee the onions till they turn translucent and soft and add in the spices.
- Mix the pumpkin puree into the spices and add the black beans.
- Finally, add the chicken stock to this mix.
- Add salt and pepper as per your taste, swirl in the cream and sprinkle pumpkin seeds for a crunchy surprise.
There you have it, here are few of the many things you could make with pumpkin as the star of the dish. Pumpkins are a great source of daily vitamin and mineral intake. They reduce the risk of cholesterol and are also included in several weight reduction programmes by nutritionists. There are also studies that suggest how pumpkin consumption may reduce the risk of lung and cavity cancers.
Add this delicious vegetable to your pantry today along with other super-foods that will take your health and fitness regime to the next level. For the best superfoods, don’t forget to order a pack from our website. Let’s get cooking, with Nourish You.