Kickstart your morning with this bright & sunny yellow soup!
A bowl of this nutritious & tasty soup is rich in the goodness of vegetables, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and split peas, which helps you stay warm in the winter.
- 2 1/2 cups (500g) yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil/ vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, evenly cut into small pieces
- Basil leaves or Oregano to taste
- 4 cups(1 litre) of fresh vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, gently roasted
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, gently roasted
- Add the split peas in a large saucepan and pour 6 cups(1.5 litres) of water into it. Bring it to a boil over a medium-high flame for about 15 minutes until it appears to be semi-cooked.
- Meanwhile, begin to heat the oil in another pan over a medium-low flame. Add the onion, spring onion, garlic and carrot into this pan and keep stirring the mixture for nearly 3.5 minutes until the onion softens. Set aside this mixture to cool slightly. Then blend this mixture into a puree.
- Drain the water completely from the saucepan of split peas. Then add the vegetables with the stock and also add 3 cups (750ml) water to the split peas pan. Bring this to a boil first, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer swiftly for about 20 minutes. Pour the puree mix (prepared in the previous step i.e. step 2) into this pan. Stir it a little as you add basil leaves/oregano or other seasoning to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, topped with crunchy pumpkin and sunflower seeds and additional oregano as per your taste.