Quick-to-cook Quinoa Idlis
Craving for some authentic South-Indian breakfast with a twist of wholesome goodness? Try this easy recipe of spongy and tasty quinoa idlis.
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1/2 cup White Urad Dal/ Black Gram (Split)
- 1 cup Idli rava/Rice rava or sooji
- 1/2 teaspoon Methi Seeds (Fenugreek Seeds)
- Salt to taste
- 2 grated carrots (optional)
- Rinse the urad dal and quinoa separately.
- Soak the urad dal after adding the methi seeds for at least 5 hours.
- Also, soak the idli rava in a deep vessel for a few minutes, then decant the liquid and repeat the process 2-3 times. Set aside after the last rinse.
- Drain the urad dal and reserve the water.
- Grind the urad dal and methi using the mixer grinder by adding about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water gradually until the dal is finely ground.
- Grind the quinoa separately into a smooth paste by adding water as required.
- Add both the urad dal mixture and the quinoa mixture into the large vessel which contains idli rava/sooji.
- Stir nicely until mixed well together and the consistency of the batter is similar to a regular idli batter. Neither too thick nor too thin.
- Let the batter ferment for 6 hours or overnight, before consumption.
- You may add salt either before fermenting or prior to the steaming of the idlis.
- Once the batter is well fermented, add grated carrot if you wish, and add salt too in case you haven't before fermentation, and stir it to combine well.
- Grease the idli plates with a little oil, pour the batter in it and gently tap for the batter to spread evenly.
- Steam the idlis for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Scoop out the idlis using a spoon.
- Repeat both the preceding steps to make idlis from the entire batter.
- Serve these Idlis hot, along with Sambar and Chutney of your choice.
For a healthy superfood breakfast choice, serve the Quinoa idlis along with Chia seeds & Flax seeds chutney or a sweet Pumpkin seeds chutney that compliments good health with great taste. Take your pick of the finest white quinoa and premium white quinoa along with a variety of edible seeds including chia seeds, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds from the wide range of organic products by Nourish You to prepare this yummy South Indian breakfast recipe.